Tuesday, 27 August 2013

After seven sessions of acupuncture..

Last month I mentioned that the holistic veterinary centre Pea goes to offers acupuncture treatment. Instead I brought him to a well-known acupuncture specialist who treated on animals at the Singapore Zoo. Dr Oh practises at a veterinary centre located very far from home, the treatment fees are high and the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) he dispenses don't come cheap.

I felt Pea deserves the best.

Pea has been through tremendous pain, more so than any other IVDD dog whose owners I have spoken with. He deserves to be pain-free. He deserves to be happy and well.

Moreover, my beliefs regarding medical treatment is, I always consult the best that I can afford. At this moment, I can, so I should.

We've been through seven sessions of acupuncture thus far. Twice weekly, except for two weeks where we have only one session each, because one, the centre is closed for a long public holiday weekend and another which we have to cancel because Dr. Oh has double booked himself.

Pea has done very well. Dr. Oh has performed tremendous work on my little boy.

Getting frisky and back to the scratching business.
  • Pea has wobbly hind legs since 8 or 9 years old. After the fifth session, both of his hind legs no longer wobble. Pea has become frisky and impatient in his crate, he has more expandable energy and when he lifts one leg up for the pee business, the legs appear sure-footed.

Finally curling to sleep!


  • Pea leaks ever since a major surgery where he had bladder stones (struvites) removed. Now, Pea hasn't been leaking much during bedtime. However he leaks when he is excited.
  • Since 25th July, there has been no pain attack and no knuckling of the right paw.
  • I brought Pea to Dr. Sayaka (who practises at the holistic centre we go to) for grooming and a skin issue last Sunday evening. While we were there, she performed acupuncture on Pea too. She mentioned that Pea is doing very well on the lumbar and thoracic regions.
There is much literature and white papers on acupuncture treatment for animals and this is especially more common and acceptable in the US. Pea is one such testimony.



I hope more dog owners come forward to give acupuncture and TCM a chance. They are a great alternative to surgery and western medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment